Monday, May 16, 2016

THE HIGH PLAINS/ WITH SISTER DORIS-day 2


      Day 2 Wednesday May 11, 2016

      We left Valentine, Nebraska in the AM and headed north on Federal 83 to the Badlands of South Dakota. From there we caught state 44 and traveled west and cut straight thru the Badlands area until entering the Badlands National Park and looping the most scenic area of it until leaving and coming out at Wall, South Dakota and having lunch across the street from the famous Wall Drug. Coming up the way we did from the south via Nebraska, I realized for the first time the immensity of the Badlands. They are amazing! I used to think they were over-rated when I would just catch them off I-90 and not spending little time viewing them before moving on west. Absolute beauty!

       We then drove though Rapid City and drove up to Mount Rushmore. It was still very impressive and appeared even larger than remembered, even though I hadn't been there since the mid 1990's. We caught 16A and drove all through the Black Hills National Forest. I had no intention of driving all through the Forest and actually didn't understand what the A stood for in 16A. If you ever see a sign and the number has an A behind it beware! Although, even surviving all the hair-pins it was quite beautiful. We actually went through one tunnel on that drive and viewed Mt. Rushmore. It was like viewing the Faces through a telescope. I hope I can find a photo like that on Pinterest or similar.

     Due to my error we looped back through Rapid City and caught I-90 and headed west until reaching Sundance and staying the evening before heading north to Devil's Tower National Monument the next morning. Like a little kid, I could hardly wait to reach this famous Eastern Wyoming's Monolith!  

No comments:

Post a Comment