Tuesday, May 17, 2016

HIGH PLAINS W/ SISTER DORIS day-3


Day 3, Thursday May 12, 2016

      It was THE day for me! The one thing on this trip that was calling me back for the third time in my life was  the"Devil's Tower!" The first time I viewed it back in the 1980's, I was mesmerized by it. It was simply awesome! We were headed up to the Monument early on Thursday morning from Sundance, Wyoming.

       I am not sure just where we first viewed it from a distance, but, it was like witnessing something almost Spiritual. It gave me chills. After arriving at the base we drove around to the west side face and parked. In early morning with the sun still hiding behind it, one could get a really good feel of its beauty and magnitude. With binoculars one could get a feel of the real difficulty of climbing its straight up sheer walls. If you have never ventured up to view this one of a kind Monument put it on your list! It is not that far from Rapid City!

      From Devil's Tower, we were then headed back down to I-90 and Gillette, Wyoming and then the Big Horn Mountains. We did get to see off of I-90 in Gillette where all the coal mining is done in that area. What a hole! From Buffalo west we entered the Big Horn Mountains via scenic Federal 16 over the pass at 9,666 feet and much much snow. And then through the Ten Sleep Canyon over to Worland, Wyoming. The Ten Sleep Canyon drive is one of THE most spectacular drive- thru Canyons I have ever witnessed!! It was a spectacular, wide, and a colorful   (with reds, pinks, blues, grays, and oranges) gorge that seems to be off most people's radar. I know that we should have gone on over to visit Yellowstone and the Tetons, but, we both had been there and were glad that we experienced together the Big Horns and Ten Sleep areas as a new adventure. 

      We made it to Casper, Wyoming at the end of that third day and were almost giddy with all that we experienced and seen that day and the days before. Could this trip get any better? Well, we shall see!
   

No comments:

Post a Comment