Sunday, May 1, 2016

PITCHING PENNIES/NOT PINCHING PENNIES!


      One day at the old Burg Grocery, I teased a couple of young teen-age guys about loafing in the back room and accusing them of "pitching pennies." They looked at me with this blank stare! They didn't have a clue what I was talking about. Yes, I was pulling their chain, but, I was somewhat surprised that they had not heard of this "male" past-time. Maybe I should have mentioned craps. 

      The concept is quite simple. Two people face a wall a short distance away and one person tosses a penny or quarter at the wall and then the other person tosses his coin at the edge of the wall. The coin must at least touch the wall and then the closest coin to the wall wins and so on until one person takes all the coins from the other guy or the game is called off!

      When I was a kid, especially in junior high at dear old Laurel Consolidated School, it was quite popular in the coat-room during recess or lunch time. Maybe some games or past-times don't make it from one generation to the next. Too bad! 

No comments:

Post a Comment