Monday, May 30, 2016

HE STILL SAID: "GENTLEMEN START YOUR ENGINES!"


      Just about every year I have to watch at least the start of the "Indy 500." It was good to see this year that it was completely sold out with at least 300,000 racing fans. It is the highest capacity sports venue in the world.  I will always have a special place for the race, as I attended 15 or so races from the mid 1970's till early 1990's. To witness the beginning of the race there is no greater RUSH! To this date I still have not attended a  major NASCAR race, but, is high on my Bucket List.

      In 1977, I was in attendance when Janet Guthrie was the first woman driver to enter the race. Everyone was speculating what the owner, Tony Hulman, would say as he was the one who spoke those most famous words in auto racing. He introduced her as the first lady driver with a few words about her and then said: "Gentleman Starts Your Engines!" He didn't budge from tradition. The place went wild! She dropped out after only a few laps due to mechanical difficulty. 

No comments:

Post a Comment