Thursday, May 14, 2015

JOHNNY'S VETS CLUB-AN UNFORGETTABLE EXPERIENCE!



     Again, back in the 1970' and 80's, Johnny's Vet's Club located in West Des Moines was one of the old fashion supper clubs that are pretty much a thing of the past.

      It was owned by a Greek named John Stamatelos. The restaurant was located just off 1st street, in West Des Mioines or 63rd street on the DesMoines side. It was south of Railroad street
and adjacent to the Racoon River and near a junk yard. A real not-cool area. The building was an added on frame structure that you didn't dare think about the fire risk too long.

     When you entered into this tiny entry area, there sat Johnny Stamatelos to greet you. The  entrees of the time were a steak de burgo, pan fried in butter, and my favorite most nights, top sirloin served in a metal plate with a small stick that told you if it was prepared rare, well done or whatever. Always, "Bob Special" came with a pat of melting butter on top. 

     After eating, you could always go into a separate area an enjoy a little action around the guy playing in the piano bar for a little sing a long! Just like Billie Joel's "Piano Man." And, when you were ready to leave there sat Johnny wishing you well on your departure!

4 comments:

  1. Oh my goodness! Back in the mid 1980's, I was taken there a couple of times by my Des Moines friends Ron and Rena! I live in Mpls, and I loved this place!!! So sorry to read that it had to close because of constant flooding!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I lived in DesMoines from '72 to '77. Made lots of visits to Johnny Vet's club. So sad when it kept getting flooded out. Now I live in Minneapolis.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I worked there from 1975 to 1977. This to me was excellent place to work and I enjoyed my time when I worked there. I wish it was still there so I could visit and eat there once in a while!

    ReplyDelete
  4. If for some reason, Johnny took a shine to you (always female) he would (rarely) gift you a silver dollar. I still have my 1922 coin.

    ReplyDelete