Sunday, May 3, 2015

GRAVEL ROAD-NEVER AGAIN!


     The gravel trucks went by our house day and night it seemed. It was the late 1950's and the trucks were carrying rock from the quarry near Ferguson, Iowa to south of Kellogg, Iowa while I-80 was being built from coast to coast.

     My poor mother, I am sure, probably had near nervous breakdowns due to all this dust. She was a "cleanaholic" and could never keep up with dusting in the house. At the same time, when it was time to go some where in my hot 57' Chevy, I would have to slowly drive over to the paved highway 14 west of us and then wipe it down before proceeding. You couldn't be caught dead in a dusty car going to the big city of Marshalltown on a Saturday night!

      No! That was enough dust for me. I vowed that I would never live on a gravel road. Never have!

No comments:

Post a Comment