Saturday, May 16, 2015

BIKE LANE SCARE IN MARSHALLTOWN!


      The other day while in Marshalltown, I was headed to Taylor's, of course, for lunch. I was going east on Linn approaching north 3rd Ave. I have become aware of the white lines around denoting the bike lanes. I had spotted the line as I was approaching 3rd Ave and stayed to the right of it.

      When the light changed, I started to make my left turn. To my surprise there was a young lady to my left in that far inside lane also turning left. It was a good thing I spotted her. I did receive a dirty look, but, at least no harm.

     After eating, I went around the block again to see what was what. The solid white line ended just beyond the drive way to the gas station entrance on the northwest corner of that intersection allowing only a few feet for an actual turn lane. The left turn arrow painted on the street was all but faded. Not being used to the norm at that corner, instinct told me in dealing with these bike markings, I WAS IN THE RIGHT-OF-WAY. A judge,  I am sure, would have disagreed with me. It seems like dealing with an additional marking and depending on the situation at the time, it is just added confusion.

No comments:

Post a Comment