Wednesday, September 6, 2017

A GOOD FRIEND & SLICE OF CHERRY PIE


      This past Sunday, 9/3/2017, I drove to Urbandale and met up with  Laurel classmate and close friend Jerry Roberts. We headed down to Jesse's Embers, a long time restaurant fixture on Ingersoll Ave in Des Moines for their annual "Customer Appreciation Event."

       After enjoying a local band playing some 70's oldie tunes, we headed out to West Des Moines and the Jordan Creek Town Center for their Sunday night musical performances around the small lake adjacent to the shopping area. It was a very pleasant evening and again the band was right down my alley with 1970 & 80's music.

        At some point I suggested to Jerry that I would treat him to a dessert at the nearby Cheesecake Factory. To my disappointment, it was packed and a fairly long waiting list. I don't have the patience for that nonsense at my age and suggested moving on.

      We ended up pulling in to the Village Inn on University, close to 22nd Street in WDM where the crowd was pleasantly light. After splitting a Rubin sandwich, it was time to decide on dessert. They have, as most know, a very extensive pie selection. After looking them all over and much discussion, it came down to my same choice as I always make---Cherry with one, not two, scoop.

       Years ago when I lived in WDM, 1980's & early 90's, I would stop at this same location for an evening coffee and pie. I went through the same ritual every time. Study and study that pie menu only to finally decide on a slice of cherry with TWO scoops of vanilla ice-cream. Some things don't change!  

No comments:

Post a Comment