Sunday, October 23, 2016

THE STREAKER @ KINNICK!


      At the Hawkeye-Badger game yesterday, they were honoring Randy Duncan who past away recently and was an outstanding quarterback at Iowa in the late 1950's. A nearby fan brought some other football memory from times past and it reminded me of my favorite non-football memory at a Hawkeye game at Kinnick.

       It was in the mid 1970's and at a time when "Streaking" was popular around the country. (running down a street or place without clothing) I was sitting at this particular Hawkeye  game on the east side next to a very nice elderly lady. All of a sudden this young guy came running on to the football field from the northwest corner. 

       All he was wearing was a baseball hat, waving an American flag, and wearing tennis shoes and nothing else. He made it almost to the southwest corner of the field before being caught and tackled by security people. It happened very quickly and the lady next to me leaned over and asked me if the guy had any clothing on? No was my reply. I never knew whether she didn't see it real well or couldn't believe what she did see? A blown up photo was displayed for years at the "Field House" dance club and bar downtown Iowa City. Could still be down there somewhere for all I know!  

        

No comments:

Post a Comment