Wednesday, October 12, 2016

MY SCENIC DRIVE DESTINATION-SURREAL!


       I arrived at the start of my journey across the Talimena Scenic Byway in the Quachita National Forest late morning on Wednesday, October 5th.  The start was in Mena, Arkansas and would end approximately 60 miles later in Talihina, Oklahoma. 

         Even though the mountains in this area only rise to 2,500,  the views from this height are spectacular. Waiting just another two weeks or so the color would have been spectacular I'm sure. I never really never knew that there were mountains as such in this area west of Hot Springs, Arkansas. They are the highest range between the Rockies and the Appalachians. What made this trip special was traveling in an area having never been or seen before. 

      Once on the Byway that spans the mountain peaks, I encountered fog or low lying clouds almost immediately. However, the wind picked up and the moisture, clouds, or fog at different stages keep coming at me like something out of a horror movie. And, not passing another vehicle for stretches of miles, it added to the atmosphere and beauty in a surreal way! 

        It wasn't until I reached the Oklahoma state line that the clouds cleared and with a gorgeous sunshine the views at several scenic points were spectacular! Also, within the drive I drove through the Queen Wilhelmina State Park. If you have never driven through this part of the USA put it on your list even if it on the way to somewhere else.

        


No comments:

Post a Comment