Sunday, June 3, 2018

THAT OL' FROSTY SCHOONER OF BEER!


         While at a household auction yesterday at Belle Plaine, Iowa, up for bid was an old Schlitz glass beer schooner. It brought back immediately a fond memory from my youth and no it was not about me drinking beer!

         I do remember accompanying one of my uncles up to the local tavern in Laurel, Iowa, during hay making season to get refreshments for the crew. I will never forget that image of the owner, Hank Miiller, pulling out this frosted schooner from a  low refrigerator from behind the bar and then filling it with a "cool" one. 

          I would watch those bubbles float to the top and to its "head." Then, once in awhile the patron would take a salt shaker and tap in a little salt which I presume was for added flavor. Again, more rising bubbles! It didn't take much to entertain me! 

No comments:

Post a Comment