Sunday, June 17, 2018

DRY CLEANING NO MORE!


        There was an article in the Des Moines Register this past week about the dry cleaner's, "French Way," closing and all it's locations after 100 years plus in business thruout the Des Moines area. That does seem to be the trend around the country as the cleaner's in Marengo closed a little over a year ago.

          We are all just dressing too casual anymore and have no need for all that starching and pressing. When I lived and worked in the West Des Moines area back in the 1960- early 1990's , my whole attire was suits and ties. I was a weekly customer of the one French Way that was located near my office at 801 Grand Avenue, Wes Des Moines, Iowa. 

       Sometimes, I would have 10 long sleeved shirts to be cleaned and pressed along with a suit or two. My old friend, Bob Merritt, would take all those shirts in along with all his suits that he wore for the week. He would even have his jeans starched heavy. The crease in his pants could cut you!

          Well, things are always changing and because I still like a professionally  pressed shirt on ocassion, I have found a dry cleaner in North Liberty, over 20 miles away. And, yes I can, do, and know how to iron and have once in awhile. The "Well Dressed look" did last for quite a long time!    

No comments:

Post a Comment