Wednesday, May 23, 2018

THE LONELIEST ROAD/PANORAMIC BEAUTY!


    There are some things in life that we look forward to that don't meet our expectations and we walk away very disappointed. "The Loneliest Road in America" drive went way beyond my expectations and then some!

        Many years ago, I read an article in the Des Moines Register about a group of "Bikers" who rode through the "Loneliest Road in America" and were quite impressed. They also finalized their journey on the Oregon Coast and for whatever reason it stuck with me and a few years ago did travel the entire Oregon Coast and will probably never experience such Coastal Beauty again in my lifetime. Besides, it totally intrigued me when after asking dozens of people through the years that never heard of it, I had to go!

          The Loneliest Road was put on top of my "Bucket List" in 2018. The morning of Thursday, May 17th, 2018, I was ready to embark on my much awaited adventure across an unknown landscape! I awoke early that morning in my motel room and in the town of Nephi, Utah, just south of Salt Lake City, near highway Federal 6/50. 

         On awakening, I had my doubts about the trip. What if it was a big "flop" and was nothing but 500 miles of just flat, baron, wasteland. Like most of us, I couldn't get out of my mind that most of Nevada was just flat terrain that was used my the military for bomb testing. And, what if true and I became bored or frustrated, there was no easy way of escaping  to a nearby interstate. 

           Besides, I had to travel close to 100 miles just to get to the Utah/Nevada border before officially being on my way. By the time I had reached Delta, Nevada, I realized that with what I had seen,  maybe my 400 mile journey would have been  worth the wait!

---------------------------------to be continued!

              

No comments:

Post a Comment