Thursday, May 24, 2018

BREATHLESS--REALLY!


         Years ago, when my kids were in high school, we snow skied in Colorado many times during Spring Break. The high altitude always affected my breathing to the extent that I would have to take an extra deep gulp of air every so often. At that time in the late 1970's and in my 30's, I chalked it up to the fact that I was a smoker.

         Now, I suppose I need to factor in age and not smoking as I haven't had a puff in a couple of decades. But, spending so much time on this trip in altitudes of 6500 ft. and higher, I did seem to struggle with breathing fairly frequently--especially at night in bed.

           The one time I was quite concerned was when I reached the entrance to Yosemite National Park in California. It's posted at the entrance that it is right at 10,000 feet. At one point I did feel very light headed and was worried that I could actually pass out. I was never so glad to descend and get myself back down to where I was a little more comfortable. Maybe I will need to start carrying some oxygen along next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment