Wednesday, May 9, 2018

LARRY T. LAVERTY-MEMORIES OF A COUSIN


        LARRY  T. LAVERTY 9/27/1939--5/7/2018


           I want to share some of my fondest and warmest memories of my cousin, Larry Thomas Laverty, only son of Thomas L. and Glatha Laverty. Larry and I grew up south of Laurel, Iowa only one mile apart on family farms. 

          During Larry's high-school days, he made sure to include his four year younger cousin on many of his social events and week-end outings. He was like a big brother that I never had and was always kind and patient and never a harsh word.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
  • His love for cold pizza that following morning.
  • When being bullied at school, he acted as my Protector.
  • Riding with him in the "Family Jeep" around and hunting for "Grinnies."
  • Seeing him standing on the sideline at a Laurel high school football game with his helmet  and face mask slid up.
  • His new 1956 two-toned( yellow and black) Chevy Impala
  • His very cool all black 1958 Chevy two-Door Hardtop with that big V-8.
  • The metal plaque hanging by chain on the back of his car with "Road Saints" Laurel's local car club.
  • Taking the Four Mile right angle corner south of Laurel on highway #14 in his Volkswagen Beatle" at over 45 MPH with no seat belts, but, knowing he would do it.
  • Going with him on a Saturday morning to Newton at the Chevrolet  Dealer where my brother-in law, Clyde Eddy, worked as an auto mechanic. 
  • In my sophomore year, convincing the football coach that I could run really fast and would be better as a back than my older cousin, Larry, an outstanding Center/Lineman.
  • Spending an over-night at Larry's and listening to songs like "Mello Yellow" on his 45' record player.
  • Proud of my cousin's many  Conservation awards when farming after his graduation at Iowa State University.
  • Double dating one evening with Larry, Kay, his future wife, and a friend of Kay's.
  • Watching him while he worked on an old 32 Ford Coup in the "shop" on our Grandpa Laverty's farm south of Laurel and adjacent to Larry's home. 
  • Thinking how cool he looked and not really out of place when he bought and wore a heavy black leather jacket with lots of pockets and zippers.  
             Even though we grew apart as we became adults, I never stopped thinking of him with so many  good memories. He was an intelligent and gifted in so many ways, but, most of all I am proud to say he was my "Cousin." You will always be with me, your cousin, Dennis! 

No comments:

Post a Comment