Wednesday, May 2, 2018

TEACHERS OF LAUREL by DONNA INGRAHAM continued


---------------------------continued. Laurel Teachers

         4th Grade-Mrs. Ana Andrews.

This was the year we had so many teachers after Mrs. Andrews had a nervous breakdown. We had Sylvia McCleery, Glatha Laverty and I can't remember the others. Mrs. Andrews later went on to win the lottery.

5th Grade--Miss Knoll was our teacher and Kenneth H. Pierce was our Superintendent.

6th Grade-Mrs. Toedt was our teacher.

7th Grade-Mrs. Warden was our teacher. Mr. Stubbs became our Superintendent. Jim Roisen joined the faculty. By the way, he just passed away.

8th Grade-Mrs. Ehret was the teacher and we moved to the new (high school) building.

        This was the year we joined sports teams, music, and other activities. Mrs. Berthrong was with us since kindergarten and was a wonderful music and drama teacher. We even had a band.

Freshman Year-Those on staff were Mrs. Berthrong, Mr. James Eidesel, Jim Roisen, and Mr. Gerald Spitznagel. We started big time football, basketball, baseball and all the music activities. I became a cheerleader.

Sophomore Year

About the same. Charlene VandeKamp was homecoming queen and Bill Murphy was king.

Junior Year-By now the faculty were Leighton Betz, Olaf Grosland, Jack Standefer, Dave May, Orville Anderson, Deane Elsberry, Carol Berthrong and Charlotte Grewell, the Home Ec. Teacher. Mr. Berryhill, (what a joke), and Mr. Stoever, the drivers and instructor.

We had student council, annual staff, future teachers, future nurses, speech contestants, as well as all kinds of music activities.

Senior Year-- About the same activities. Lots of football, basketball, and music. All in all, I believe we had a good education in Laurel. I became kind of a secretary for the high school teachers---typing tests and the like. That year I worked organizing the library and etc. I like keeping up with classmates. I enjoy knowing they are happy and healthy. I miss those who have passed away.

 Since my dad was on the school board I heard probably more than I should have. Mrs. Berthrong and Mrs. Elsberry were far beyond their years as far as standing up for themselves and in many cases for kids. They weren't afraid to voice their opinion. Mrs. Berthrong had a wonderful mink coat. Us girls would walk around in it. She never said we couldn't. At one point she said I either  had to give up cheerleading or music. I kept doing both.

No comments:

Post a Comment