Thursday, April 28, 2016

TRIP/ RELENTLESS BEAUTY W/ TONY PRESTON


      Back in 2009, I joined friend, classmate Tony Preston on one of my favorite trips of all time. I would like to share it once more. It should be on everyone's Bucket List. This was one time my instincts did not let me down. Quite to the contrary. It went way beyond my expectations. For years I had planned this trip in the back of my mind. I had heard of two parks in southern  Utah were very beautiful and they kept calling me. Like so much of this country, pictures, books, movies, and TV did not do them justice. No sir!

     One day I thought it would make sense to fly to Las Vegas and at least stay there long enough to see all the new that had been built during the last 40 years or so and then, drive down through the Grand Canyon over to Lake Powell, up through Zion and Bryce Canyon then back to Vegas and home. 

      Well, that's almost what I did only much better. And, with an added kicker of sorts.I was able to convince a very dear friend and classmate from Laurel, Tony Preston, to join me on this journey. Tony was the perfect companion. Besides being one of the nicest and easy going individuals I have ever known, he lived in Prescott, Arizona along with his wife Jolene. Also, with Tony's background in geology it was like having my own personal guide to the southwest. This would become one of my most pleasurable, relaxing, and scenic trips of my life-time.

      On Thursday, February 26th, 2009, I flew from Des Moines to Phoenix, Arizona. Another close friend and class-mate, Jerry Roberts, actually drove me to the airport from his home in Urbandale and kept my vehicle at his home. Jerry and I go back to the very first day of kindergarten at Laurel and went all the way through and graduated in 1962. 

      In Phoenix, I rented a new Ford Mustang for us boys and drove to Tony's home in Prescott, Arizona and stayed the first night in their lovely home in the foothills of the area with a breath-taking view. The next morning, Friday, the 27th, we headed north up route 89 to Williams off I-40 and also along the famous Route 66. After a delicious breakfast at mid-morning, it was on to the south rim of the Grand Canyon.

      What can you say about the Grand Canyon. It is like comparing Elvis to all the other pop singers. It has to be one of THE most scenic, breath-taking, natural wonders in this country, One could soak this view in all day.

      From there we drove east to Cameron, Arizona along route 64 for a late lunch consisting of a Navajo Taco. That fried bread was the best. From here we journeyed north along the layered  beauty of the Echo Cliffs, a continuous butte that followed us on our right all the way to Page, Arizona and the Lake Powell area. 

      Our first tour the next morning, Saturday the 28th, was the Upper Antelope Slot Canyon just east of Page, Arizona. We also checked out renting house boats for the next Laurel class re-union. Ha! Too expensive. Maybe next life-time.  

------------------------to be continued.

       

      

        

No comments:

Post a Comment