Monday, April 3, 2017

THUMBS DOWN TO GATLINBURG!


       My biggest disappointment on the trip with my sister Doris to the Smoky Mountain region was driving through Gatlinburg, Tennessee. I am not sure what I actually expected but, not the amount of people walking along the main thoroughfare.

        Every imaginable type of retail outlet expected in a destination area. Everything from fudge shops to a house of mirrors and so many motels and hotels you wouldn't know where to begin. For an off season time, it was over run with families and young kids who obviously were there for Spring Break! I couldn't get out of there fast enough. If only I was 30 or 40 years younger--maybe!

        I think it was a lucky break that the highway or street was jammed up going toward Dollywood and all that surrounds it. Something tells me I would have been further disappointed. 
Thankfully the entrance to the Smoky Mountain National Park was just on the edge of town and we escaped to absolute peace and beauty within minutes. Stay tuned for an expectation that did not disappoint.

No comments:

Post a Comment