Saturday, April 22, 2017

THE EXORCIST VS BENNY & THE JETS


       This past week "Benny and the Jets"  by Elton John was playing overhead at the Burg Grocery. It reminded me of a special and traumatic at the same time. It happened back in the mid 1970's, when I went to see for the first time the movie "The Exorist"at the River Hills Theater in downtown Des Moines. I went with a friend, Dan Ellett, who was also a fellow employee at Allied Mutual Insurance Company.

         That movie really scared the ----out of me at the time and when I went back to my apartment at 1136 26th St., near Drake University, I had a hard time staying there. So I decided that I needed to be around people and headed for "Peggy's"-- the drinking institution at Drake for decades. 

        The first thing I did, after ordering my first beer, was go over to the Jukebox and  punch in several selections of "Benny & The Jets." At the time it was one my favorite songs and besides $1.00 could get you at least four selections. I can still see that head spinning around and around along with all that green stuff spewing out of her(Ragan) mouth!   

No comments:

Post a Comment