Wednesday, April 5, 2017

THE BILTMORE-NOTHING LIKE IT!


       Through the years I have seen my share of large homes. I grew up in one, sold real estate for years, and had seen large homes in traveling. But, I had heard from a close friend and my younger sister that the Biltmore in Ashville, north Carolina was definitely worth seeing. 

        Many years ago, I had the` opportunity to go through the huge mansions lined along the Atlantic ocean in Newport, Rhode Island. I didn't tour any of those magnificent homes and always regretted it. Traveling to the Ashville area,I would not miss another opportunity. 

        Sometimes we see or experience things that do not match or come up to our expectations. Not the Biltmore-the largest private home in America. It went way beyond anything I could imagine. If you are ever close to this area do not miss it. It has to be put right up there with the Grand Canyon or Niagara Falls. A truly American icon.

         Most of the information on this American Treasure can be found on line and I am not going to ramble on with all it's stats. But, to visit this site that was built by George Vanderbilt, the youngest son of Cornelius Vanderbilt, in the late 1890's is a must. This four story, 135,000 sq. ft. of living space, mansion sets on 8,000 acres of scenic and rolling land-- 250 rooms, 33 bedrooms, 43 baths, and 65 fireplaces. Originally the setting included over 125,000 acres but much was sold to the Federal government for added National forest.

         The decorating, and furnishings alone were hard to fathom. The main Banquet Hall for formal dining was over 3,000 sq. ft. could seat 65 people and the ceiling was over 70 feet. It is still owned by the Vanderbilt family and yes it is still the largest private home in this country. No longer will I be impressed by some movie stars luxury home! Again, if you get the chance don't miss it! 

No comments:

Post a Comment