Sunday, September 4, 2016

MY DAY AT KINNICK!


      I can't imagine being anywhere else yesterday, Saturday, September 3, 2016,  than going to Iowa City and attending the first game of the 2016 Iowa Hawkeye  football season. I went through my usual ritual of driving to Corralville, and taking the Hawkeye Express train to Kinnick. 

        I obtained my "scalped" ticket after walking around and through the pre-game crowd. After listening to the Hawkeye Marching Band warm up on the south side of Kinnick, I got a couple of egg rolls from a vendor on Melrose. Then part of the days enjoyment was sitting ouside Kinnick, eating and striking up a little conversation with a couple from Des Moines.

        My seat was in the northeast corner of the north end-zone and up about 30 rows with a fantastic and panoramic view of the whole stadium and a direct view of the the team coming out of the tunnel in the southwest corner of the stadium. I never tire of the feeling as the team slowly makes there way out onto the field. 

          The attendance was almost to capacity of 71,000 and interestingly the ridership set a record that day for ridership on the Hawkeye Express. The Hawks won somewhat easily and it wasn't a bad game but have seen better played. 

        The couple sitting next to me, from near Waterloo, came in via parking at a downtown parking garage and taking abus over to the stadium. I was reminded by the husband that they only paid $6.oo for the parking as I paid $12.00 for the train ride. With humor intended, I brought up what sounds better-- a parking garage in downtown Iowa City and the  "bus" or parking in the suburb of Corrallville and taking a train called the "HAWKEYE EXPRESS." I rest my case. The guy was an attorney. As I left early, I told them that I had to get an early seat on the "CLUB CAR" for cocktails. They didn't know that the train had a club car. GOTCHA!  It was a great day!  

No comments:

Post a Comment