Sunday, September 4, 2016

BIG FIELD DAY/LAUREL IN 1904!


        Back on September 24, 1904 Laurel, Iowa held what they called the BIG FIELD DAY. I am sure it would compare to our Oktoberfest's that are held around the country today. I have also written about the main event which featured my grandfather, Henry Smith, versus Harve Morgan in a 100 yard dash for a purse of $30.00.

      What struck me of interest was the other activities that were held then and can't imagine even being thought of today for enjoyment and entertainment. Here are some examples from the "flyer" at the time.

        There was a 50 yard dash for children 50 pounds or under with 50 cents for first prize. A running broad jump (free for all) with a prize of $1.00. A biscuit contest, a pie contest, with a 50 cent prize. There was a fat man's race(over) 200 pounds with a prize from LR Maytag. I would have loved to have watched the Turkey Chase or the Throwing of the 16 lb. Hammer with a pize of $1.00.

       Sadly, my grandfather lost that race, but, I still possess the original photo of the race, his spiked racing shoes and jersey that he wore for races like it. Interesting times and I think would have been lots of fun!
       

No comments:

Post a Comment