Sunday, June 14, 2015

REMEMBERING CAROL BERTHRONG/ LAUREL MUSIC ICON!


    A letter written by Carol Berthrong to the Laurel Alumni years ago was presented to the Laurel Alumni banquet that was held Saturday evening, June 13, 2015. It was written several years ago by Mrs. Berthrong and she was remembered by most all at the banquet as she taught music much of the 1950's. Without a doubt, she was one of the most popular teachers at the school and had a significant influence on many students there. Here is that letter to be presented in a series of three parts.

     Greetings to the Laurel Alumni from northern California, twenty miles from the Oregon border line.

      I am wondering how many of you had me for a teacher in some way. I wish I were there to have you stand, so I could count you and tell you how  much I enjoyed being associated with you. All of you were so precious to me! No teacher ever loved and cared for her students as I did for you.
      As I sit here writing, your faces are passing before me in my mind and I am reminiscing about all the various activities that happened during the years I was with you.
     I was with the Laurel School two different times. The first time I stayed four years. The school was about as perfect as a school could be. So I felt I should move on to help another school, who might need some help.
      Do you remember that we played six-man football? We had a homecoming and imagine this, we even featured a parade with floats that we enjoyed putting together with hundreds of paper napkins.
     Every week we had a pep rally. I recall the numerous skits I put together to make each rally one that was worthwhile, meaningful, and entertaining. Wasn't it fun? We even rehearsed ahead of them to be sure of their success.
       Then it was basketball season! The administration suggested that I be the sponsor for the girls B-B team as they were having problems getting along. I was told that sometimes there was even hair pulling. So I tackled the problem. We had two games a week-Tuesday and Friday nights.  Each night I made a gallon of lemonade and took Herhsey bars for the girls. It wasn't long before we were saying a prayer before our games. They were wonderful girls!
      John Craven was the  superintendent when I first went to Laurel. My office was that tiny room on the second floor of the old building, among the sewing machines, that faced west. Mr. Craven taught agriculture in the classroom next door. He talked so loudly that I could hear him teaching. Different times he tell the students to watch out when they went among the trees because the squirrels would get them.
      Across the hall was another tiny room comparable to mine with a piano, that we used to practice small groups and solos. Richard Seitman and Jack Toedt were two who were involved. Richard was "so full of the dickens" that we had a difficult time getting serious. "Fun" was his middle name. I really had to beg Jack Toedt to do a solo. I don't believe he will ever forget working on "Were You There When They Crucified The Lord
 
---------------to be continued.

No comments:

Post a Comment