Sunday, June 21, 2015

DO YOU REMEMBER HELEN AND PAT'S?


      A lady that works with me at the Burg Grocery, asked me the other day, if I remembered Helen and Pat's restaurant.  She knew I had lived in Des Moines at one time and she remembered going there while visiting family. Well, is the Pope Catholic? 

      Somehow I found out about Helen and Pat's when I worked at Allied Mutual Insurance Company in downtown Des Moines. A car load of us from work would on occasion drive up to this Highland Park neighborhood favorite. It was located right on Euclid Avenue just west of 2nd Avenue.

        The specialty was Cavatelli.  This was a pasta baked with Italian sausage, tomato sauce, and mozzarella or provolone cheese and I am sure some special spices. It was a real treat for lunch or the evening. It was always served with garlic bread. 

     I believe it opened in the 1950's and continued well into the 70's and 80's. Someone tried to take over or "plastic up" the place in the 1990's but, it was just not the same. I am sure you can still find Cavatelli at a few Italian eateries around Des Moines like Noah's Ark or Mama Lacona's! 

1 comment:

  1. This was my family's restaurant, I love that people remember and still talk about it! Nothing but love from my family to yours!

    ReplyDelete