Saturday, April 25, 2015

WHAT WERE THEY THINKING??

  
      This past week, I was washing windows at a long time customer in Marshalltown, Iowa. The home was new within the last ten years or so and is considered a ranch style. Most cities have a law or ordinance that if you have a bedroom in the basement level, you have to have a second means of egress or way out.  

    Like so many homes and this particular one, it has the window with the well built out. However, it is straight up with about six foot or so to ground level. Did I say straight up with a poured concrete wall in this case. 

     If there was a fire, and I was down in that room, once I got out into that tight area, I wouldn't be tall enough to reach up to ground level. Even if I jumped up, it is doubtful I would have the strength to pull myself up and out. I have seen some that are layered up so at least you could get your toes into the tapered stair steps up. With the later, it would be bye bye Dennis.

No comments:

Post a Comment