Friday, April 10, 2015

DOES ANYONE REMEMBER KRNT THEATER?

      Recently I attended the Williamsburg grade school annual musical. Most of the musical numbers were from Broadway musicals from years ago.

      It got me thinking about the first live Broadway musical that I witnessed at the old KRNT Theater in downtown Des Moines on  8th & Mulberry back in the 1960's. It was the Music Man and starred Burt Parks. The same man that hosted the Miss America Pageant for years.

     I had purchased really good seats in the fifth row or so and was almost too close as the stage sat so high. I fell in love with live performances of this sort due to the singing and especially the choreography. 

       With the opening scene taking place in a train passenger car with all the salesmen singing their lines, it was a wow! And, when the train slowed coming into the station, they all reacted together when the train jerked to a stop. I was hooked.

      I have seen lots of Broadway shows in my lifetime, but, my favorite all time for just pure enjoyment would be Mama Mia! If you ever get the chance see it!  But, The Music Man started it all!

No comments:

Post a Comment