Sunday, April 19, 2015

THERE'S A NEW PIZZA IN TOWN!

      In a small town it doesn't take much to get everyone buzzing about something new. This one involves almost everyone's favorite food item-Pizza! This small Burg already has two excellent pizza sources- Casey's and the hometown favorite-The Pizza Haus. The Pizza Haus compares to my old hometown favorite in Marshalltown, Iowa-Zeno's!

      Now we have a very good third choice. You can find it at the Sundown Bar & Grill right uptown just off the Williamsburg square. After hearing from a half dozen sources, including a grandson, that this pizza was good, it was time to check it out. 

     The Sundown installed a new wood burning brick oven on it's outside patio. The waitress that waited on me took me out to show me the new addition and informed me that because it burns so hot that a pizza can be completed in less than five minutes. I got it to go and while waiting was able to watch the Cubs defeat the Padres in eleven innings. Go Cubs! Before I could blink the boxed up pizza was ready for me to take it home.

     My half was just pepperoni and I mean fresh big slices of it. The cheese was extra greasy  like Zeno's, possibly due to using provolone cheese. We both gave it a definite thumbs up and will no doubt give it a try again. But, in fairness to the other pizza sources in town, I will not try to compare or rank. They are all good in there own way. 

       Remembering how fast the pizza was ready, brought back a memory of sitting at Zeno's back in the 1960's, and thinking nothing of it waiting a half hour for the pie! 

No comments:

Post a Comment