Saturday, April 18, 2015

A CLOSE TO HOME PARK DISCOVERY!

      With the beautiful summer like day we experienced yesterday, Thursday, was one not to squander. And, I did not. I had mentioned to a fellow employee that I was going to do something outside even if it was wrong.

      One of my local tipsters advised me to give a nearby park a try and that I did with splendid results. The destination was the F. W. Kent Park in Johnson County. I drove north from Williamsburg and drove east on highway 6 along the scenic Amana corridor. It is located about 2 or 3 miles just east of Oxford.

      I was not disappointed. The small lake lies and tucked in among beautiful rolling natural grass and trees. It has a sand beach area on the east side for swimming and a walk way that circles the entire lake with periodic park benches along the way. One could tell immediately that the park has been well maintained and trees and other amenities are being added and updated. Other words, it is being looked after. 

     One thing that really added to the charm of this lake was the few ornate Pony style Iron bridges that are included in the pathway system around the lake. These are really cool! If you are looking for boating, it is not allowed, but, fishing is. If you are looking for peace and quiet on a beautiful spring day with an occasional call from a pheasant or a pair of geese, check it out along with your venture into Amish Country.

No comments:

Post a Comment