Wednesday, August 31, 2016

WHEN BEING A HAWKEYE BACKFIRED!


      In another week plus will be the big Hawkeye -Cyclone football game. There was a time when the series was re-started back in the late 1970's, I would have not missed going to this big rivalry game.

      Now, even living very close to "Mecca," going down there for a night game just doesn't sound as exciting as during those Hayden Fry days. On one occasion however, my enthusiasm and smugness backfired. I had a ticket in with the Cyclone fans that I had scalped, but, was un-phased. Keep in mind the game was in Ames.

     I had purchased and or/ had made a T-Shirt that said on the back---"I would rather eat Sh-- than be a Cyclone!" The Hawks lost and there I sat with my idiotic T-Shirt on. I took it off , stuck it in my hip pocket and got out of Ames. Thank goodness I was slim and somewhat trim in those days so I didn't gross anyone out. (I don't think) After that game I usually just wore a hat that said simply HAWKS! No use looking for trouble, especially at those away games. 

        

No comments:

Post a Comment