Friday, August 19, 2016

COUSIN ALAN LAVERTY/HAPPY I MADE TIME!


     Sadly, I learned from my sister, Deborah, late last night, 8/18/2016, of the passing of our cousin Alan Patrick Laverty of rural Laurel, Iowa. Alan and I were fairly close growing up as kids in that our families lived only a mile from one another on adjoining family farms. 

     As Alan was one year plus younger than I, we drifted apart after our high school days at Laurel Consolidated School. In the last six months, realizing Alan's unfortunate life style, something told me that I needed to "make" the time to visit him more often.

       My last visit at his residence was August 7th, just a few days after his birthday of 8/4//2016. I truly enjoyed driving up and spending a few hours with him reminiscing about family memories and listening to several of his stories of his younger days fishing in Canada, attending sporting events, and musical concerts. His mind was still very sharp on details of names, places, etc. 

      He would always follow me out to my car when it was time to leave and I'm sure he didn't want our visit to end. A good lesson for us all is that if there is a family member, loved one, or friend that you could make a day a little brighter, make the time and reach out. You won't regret it. I never will. Rest in peace cousin and will see you again one day at Graceland.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment