Sunday, November 9, 2014

YOU CAN FOOL SOME OF THE PEOPLE!

     Thinking about my friend Tony and his playing soft ball and tennis at age seventy reminded of a story, of course. It was in the early 80's and I was in my early 40's. It was a time in my life when I was in the best shape that I was to experience. 

     I was married the second time around, had quit smoking, no drinking, down to about ten pounds over my high school weight "or so." I was eating well and was following one of those fad diets. Each day in the afternoon, after work, I would jog from the house around the West Des Moines area for three or four miles.

     One day during that time, as I was getting some additional life insurance, I went to this medical clinic or doctor's for an exam. The young nurse took my pulse and blood pressure. After reading the results, she immediately wanted to take them again, as she indicated the readings were way too low for someone "my age." Keep in mind I was in my early 40's at the time. What an insult!

     I let her know at that time that I jogged every day  for at least three or four miles. I should have kept my mouth shut and let them think I was defying the odds somehow. At least I had her going for a while! It's been down hill ever since.At least, I am still power walking  every morning for 25 minutes.      

     

No comments:

Post a Comment