Monday, November 10, 2014

THE LAST CONNECTION-MY STEPDAD'S FARM

     I've written about peaceful moments I have experienced in my lifetime. But, I must say that one of my fondest memories as an adult was times enjoyed at my stepdad's farm. It was situated south of the small town of Van Cleve and on a one mile stretch of gravel that really was not a direct route to anywhere. That's what made it so special- peace and quite. If two cars met going by the house it was an event.


     Living in the Des Moines area at the time you got used to the noise of the city-airplanes constantly going over and the never ending traffic noise. Even if you lived in a "quiet" neighborhood, it wasn't really quiet like on the farm. Without any of that city noise, including even a train close by, it was really- really peaceful.


     Two of my fondest memories was going up and staying the night around the 4th of July and staying the night. Then, getting up extremely early and in our and watching the Wimbledon Tennis Championships from England. The other special and peaceful time was when we house sat while the folks were away. Just to relax and do absolutely nothing in utter solitude-wow!  It didn't get any better in an otherwise hurry scurry existence.


     Then, in the early 1980's, while living in West Des Moines, I distinctly remember when Mom and Maurice called to tell us that they had bought a home on College Drive in nearby Melbourne  and were so excited about the move. 


     I knew they were happy, but, I couldn't help feel just a little sad because I knew not only that last farm connection was being lost, but, a quiet and peaceful retreat was forever gone.   
.


    

No comments:

Post a Comment