Friday, November 7, 2014

FORGIVE ME FOR I HAVE SINNED-NOT!

     Yesterday, after returning from Grinnell and visiting my sister, Doris,  at the St. Francis Manor, I headed east out of town on highway 6. The light bulb came on very clearly when not far out of the city limits. It was about 12:30 and I knew I could reach the Amana's by 1pm or so.  Besides being retired, the day off, and still a couple of hours away from my nap time, there was nothing stopping me. I didn't even need to feel guilty because my significant other has always made the point that she is not a fan of the Amish style food. Ya, her elevator sometimes doesn't go all the way to the top floor.


     Before I knew it, I was in the parking lot of the Ronneburg Restaurant in main Amana. It was a little past 1pm and I asked for a table for "one." It was just me and several other tables of ladies preparing to leave. They were on some type of bus tour from Webster City, Iowa.


     The Ox Yoke Inn next door is always excellent, but, they appeared to be very busy with several buses parked in their lot. In the Amana Colonies there is only four restaurants left. Zuber's in Homestead is now a bed & breakfast. 


     I have always loved the old world  décor of the Amana restaurants. It always makes you feel warm and cozy. Also, extremely clean. The service has always been polite, efficient and attentive. The smaller lunch menu was my choice with the walleye dinner calling to me. The  walleye was large and beyond my expectations. The fried cheese potatoes,  Cole slaw to die for and a small portion of sauerkraut completed the meal. I almost forgot to mention the white and dark bread slices made right there fresh and soft as usual.


     If you haven't been to the Amana's lately, you will not be disappointed. Check it out and tell em' Dennis sent me. Just kidding. And, I never get tired of saying "Is this a great country or what."    


    

No comments:

Post a Comment