Sunday, November 9, 2014

WHEN CHICKEN IS NOT CHICKEN!

    One week-end, many years ago, my grand-son, Grant, was up staying with me in Marshalltown . I mentioned that we were going to have lunch at Haley's Grocery on North Third Avenue where they had the best broasted chicken anywhere around.

     When I picked out a couple pieces of chicken from their deli and put it on his plate he asked: "What's that?" I replied. "Chicken!" No, it's not. Yes, it is. And on and on. To him chicken was McNuggets from Mickey D's. I threatened that there would be no swimming later on. I quickly realized that things had changed-even in food form. He did think Zeno's pizza was the best. Total agreement there.

     On another occasion, I volunteered to bring the food for a grand-daughter's picnic birthday at a park in Ankeny, Iowa. Again, my wheels were turning about Haley's chicken and all the yummy salads and  the like from their deli. Don't I ever learn. Boy, was I wrong again. Half of what I brought was left over. 

    My grand children's generation has been weaned on fast-food "stuff" with the aid of their parents. But, again, as a grandparent, you have to be wise enough to recognize change, and sometimes just roll with it. I haven't totally given up as there are homemade items that I have made that they have learned to love!    

No comments:

Post a Comment