Sunday, November 16, 2014

MY UNCLES-TOMMY & PAUL LAVERTY-OBSERVATIONS

     Paul  Mac Laverty was my dad's (William John) youngest brother by about eleven years. He was considered the baby of the family. A lot of old family photographs would show my dad, his older brother, Tommy, and there would be Paul the youngest.


     Thomas or Tommy Le Roy Laverty was my dad's oldest brother by a little over a year. He was held back at one point so he and my dad could walk to school together a mile east of their farm.


      After my Grandpa Laverty passed away 1n 1950 and my dad's passing in 1953, they became important role models in my young life. I enjoyed being around them both as they possessed a great sense of humor! Their sense of humor and constant good nature, were always present. It had an impression on me and I have always been grateful that a lot of those good qualities were passed along.


    The following observations are not meant to be critical, but, ones I remember as a youngster and have warm memories of. When Uncle Paul would finish talking, he would give a little spit after taking the Camel unfiltered cigarette from his mouth and followed with a Ugh! Ugh! sound. Also, he had a little nervous  twitch with his one arm or elbow while talking.  To just be with him to do those things once more!


     Uncle Tommy was a fairly fast talker. If someone was to play him in a movie, I always said it would have to be Broderick Crawford, a film actor from the 1940's-1950's. He was always tough acting and fast talking. Uncle Tommy was not tough talking though. He was a pussy cat.


     He loved to tease. One of his favorite "tricks" would be to pass a butter dish with the butter on the edge of the plate and give it a little jerk forward so while passing it to a person, they would get some butter up their thumb. He loved that one! He introduced that trick one year at the Father and Son Banquet at the Laurel Methodist Church. Larry, his son,  had gone away to college, and, since my dad had passed away, he took me.


     One year for my birthday when I was very young one of them, Paul or Tommy, drove a tractor through the field, a mile away, during a snow storm just to bring me a birthday card and a little cash enclosed. That always meant a lot to me and showed the importance of family.   

No comments:

Post a Comment