Sunday, March 5, 2017

OLD CANCELLED CHECKS & LAUREL AREA MEMORIES!


     When my mom passed away in 2003 one decision that had to be made was what to do with old cancelled checks that she had kept. She had kept every single check that she or my dad had written from 1934 up at least until the 1970's. 

       My sisters didn't have any interest in them, but, I guess something told me that those checks could or would provide some stories and insight to life many years ago involving family and the surrounding community. 

       Keep in mind my mother was not a pack rat or as we call them today a "Hoarder!" Far from it. My mother was more like a "minimalist." She was very good at keeping things like, fiesta dishes, photos, quilts, furniture pieces etc despite the fact that she was always cleaning and "pitching" stuff. The only thing I wish she would have saved were my old comic books! I digress. 

        I spent about 3 months each night in bed, while watching TV,  going through check by check month by month. Some I did discard due to duplication like $1.00 checks written to a grocery storeMy parents were married in 1932 and the checks didn't start until 1934. The 2 year lag will never be known.

        In a follow up story I will at least make a list of the interesting things those old checks do provide about our family's past. I would recommend to anyone, if you have old checks and or documents don't throw them away. As a matter of fact it would behoove all of us to keep or get from our bank print outs (if possible) of checks that we have written. They do tell a story and if nothing else they "trigger" stories! 

No comments:

Post a Comment