Monday, March 6, 2017

LAVERTY FAMILY CHERISHED PRINT!


       The "Print" of my dad, uncle Tommy and Grandpa Laverty will always be cherished as a family treasure. It was published originally in Wallace-Farmer magazine in the early 1930's and was brought to my attention in the late 1990's by Bill Lyle, a Laurel farmer and family friend. Bill ran in to me at the HY-Vee in Marshalltown and said he had found this print at a flee market in Waterloo. Looking at it for the first time, it was a very moving moment for me. In additional importance was having Bill saying that he thought my dad was "the most gentle man he had ever known." 

        To go on, the print was an advertisement page by International Harvester/Farmall. It featured my Grandpa, T.A. Laverty, my dad, William John, standing greasing the tractor and Uncle Tommy, filling it with gasoline from the gravity fed pump behind.

       I remember my cousin, Alan, and I when we were very young trying to pump it together. It was very hard. My dad at the time would have been in his early twenties, my Uncle Tommy a year or so older, and my Grandpa in his late sixties. 

   

  


No comments:

Post a Comment