Saturday, September 19, 2015

OLD FASHION NAMES YOU NO LONGER SEE!


     This past week there was a list written in to the Des Moines Register-Two Cents Worth by someone relative to names you no longer see, at least much. It really made be think back when my grand-daughter, Cora, was born. In talking to my son by telephone that important day, I asked what they named her. CORA was the reply. At first, I know I cringed a bit when I heard that name. I remembered a couple of older ladies in the community with that name, and at first I know my thinking was negative to say the least.

      The more I thought about it the better it got. First, I envisioned this beautiful dark haired beauty. That she was and still is. Second, the name Cora started to sound better and better. It is simple, short and a name no should have to ask again for her to repeat or spell it.

      Back to the list in the Des Moines Register. Some of the female names were Edna, Ruth, Verna, Norma, Opal, Helen, Gladys, Doris, Eunice, Phyllis, Beatrice, Bonnie, Velma, Wilma, Ethel, Erma/Irma, Fern, Mildred, Myrtle, Mabel, Mavis, Martha, Betty, Joyce, and Beverly. I am sure out of this list there are lots of young ladies with these names. No dis-respect, but, Gertrude would be hard for me to handle! Even the name May, my mother, or Mae could have been included.

No comments:

Post a Comment