Sunday, September 27, 2015

CYCLONES/ FOOTBALL PLAY NEVER SEEN!


     Sitting at Kinnick Stadium Saturday and looking directly into the sun from my scalped Section K , 33 row seat near the 50 yard line reminded me of a story from years ago. Only this one was from the old Williams stadium at Iowa State in 1973. 

      Somehow I got tickets to  this Iowa State vs Oklahoma State football game. In those days the Hawks weren't doing so well and of course it was closer to drive to Ames from Des Moines.

      The play involved an Iowa State player who took a punt return or kick-off and was on his way down the west sideline and going quite a distance untouched for a touchdown. It was difficult to see very good as my seats were on the east side looking directly into the low fall sun.

     All of a sudden an Oklahoma State player came off the sideline and tackled the Iowa State player. It was strange from my viewpoint as he was running in the shadows and it was like he just disappeared at first. Iowa State was awarded the TD, I believe, and went on to win the game 28-12.

      That was one of those plays you only see once in a lifetime! I don't think it had happened in NCAA history or possibly since.

No comments:

Post a Comment