Monday, August 11, 2014

SUMMERTIME MEMORIES OF AGO/MY HIDE-OUTS!

Every young boy on the farm or from the city had a hide-out. I actually had several since that was the beauty of living on a farm. Of course, mine were the best so I thought.

The best spot I'll save till the last. You'll just have to wait. Keep in mind most of my everyday hide-outs were also places you played most days but, my Russian proof place was not really considered a place to play. No sir!

The "cave" beside our house was more like a play area. At one time a house had sat there, moved out and then capped the basement and was used as a fruit cellar but, more importantly, it was my domain as a kid. Besides, it was too close to our house and parents. Another minor hide-out was a large storage area above our detached garage. Up in the balconies of our barn, I could build a secluded fort made of bales of hay. It was a little too dark and lonely.

Also, a fairly long walk to the "ditch" back near the north-west corner of our farm was a good get-a-way. It was where a deep creviced creek started that fed into Rock Creek. It was like a miniature Grand Canyon. It wasn't wide but deeper than most men. Every farm had a place like that to take stuff to dump. We didn't have land-fills.

So much for the suspense! My top secret hide-out could (possibly) not be found. Not even by the whole Russian army. (the cold war was on when I was a kid and they were  are big enemy) 

A quarter mile south of our home was a gravel road that went west one mile to highway 14. From the corner where that road started you could go maybe one hundred yards and stop. Under the road was a square concrete culvert that ran under the road. It was for water run-off from our farm then ran through the culvert and dropped a few feet(like a small waterfall) into a small creek on the adjoining farm. You could only go through it and waddle like a duck because the culvert was only 3x3 at most. On our side where I entered, the grass was tall and the entrance was hard to detect. 

Disappointed? Well, to me it was cool and it was my hide-out. Just mine! The Russians would have never found me not in a million years! 

No comments:

Post a Comment