Wednesday, August 13, 2014

NOT SURE I WANT TO GO BACK!

Last summer a fellow employee from the Burg Grocery went with her husband to the State Fair to see the Happy Together  Tour 2014 at the Grand Stand with oldies groups from the 1960's (or so) like the Turtles, Gary U.S. Bonds, and Mitch Ryder.

It reminded me years ago when in my 40's of going to the Buddy Holly Reunion held annually at the Surf Ballroom in Clear Lake, Iowa. Walking in that winter night,  all I seemed to see were guys with balding hair-lines with graying hair and stomachs out well beyond. Well,  you get the picture. Where were the young girls with the long skirts and petticoats  and saddle shoes. No cute pony-tails! Other-words, where was the magic. Just a bunch of "middle age" people waking around with plastic beer cups in their hands acting foolish!

I used to go to the State Fair when they had the Friday night Oldie show.  Only years ago they called it the Rock and Roll Re-union. It was fun seeing the likes of Little Richard and Freddie "Boom Boom" Cannon. 

One of my conclusions and reflections is it helps to have a companion or spouse of your age to share those legends. It also helps a little if you have a few cups of the old brew to get you in the mood. I no longer have the first nor do I partake of the latter. 

Maybe for me it's best to just enjoy those old tunes and groups from the 1950's and 60's in the confines of my vehicle. I can enjoy and remember when we were all younger still! 

No comments:

Post a Comment