Monday, August 25, 2014

DORIS THE KID DOES CAMP

     The following is taken from a letter written to me from my sister, Doris Yvonne Laverty (Eddy) on July 20th, 1949 from Morris Island, on the Cedar River near Cedar Falls, Iowa. She would have been 13 or 14 years old and I would have been 5.
     Dear Dennis,

     The meals are pretty good now. The store is open 2 or 3 tmes a day. There isn't any limit on how much to buy. I spend about a dime a day on pop and candy. I got a bracelet to make out of plastic stuff. Like the one I made at day camp.
    
     Tell mother I got her letter. I was going to make you something if  you be a good boy. I also got a letter from Sammy. There isn't any telephone, lights, or water here, but, from a pump.

     The girls took a course on nature. We hiked around half the island yesterday. We didn't go very far yesterday. They told us Indian Burial ground is where the camp-fire is.

     The boy who takes us on hikes name is Dennis Mc Goren. He says "I'M" Irish too. He said this is the wildest place in Iowa. It has all kinds of bugs, snakes, and poisonous trees. 

     The nurse is nice. She put some merthiolate on a splinter I had. It was a thorn. She isn't as rough as Dr. Wilkonson. *(Laurel doctor at the time)

     Yesterday our counselor volunteered us to peel potatoes for the camp. Today Dale, Tommy, and James' cabin had to peel potatoes because their cabin was the dirtiest. Monday night it was cold. Were you? I had all my blankets on. Last night it rained.

     There is a fat kid up here who reminds us of Larry in 3 years.


      Bye, Doris

No comments:

Post a Comment