Thursday, February 5, 2015

IT WAS THE DAY THE MUSIC DIED!

     As we have just passed the Buddy Holly anniversary tragedy, for me personally, it is a time of reflection. I remember that day more vividly than when Elvis died or Kennedy was shot.  It was the end of a very innocent time.

      I had collected 45 records of all three singers at the time, especially Buddy Holly. It wasn't just the music of those three that ended, but, just the time of innocence of the 1950's that also vanished. It was devastating. I had seen the Big Bopper at the Val Air Ballroom in West Des Moines prior and when the movie La Bamba came out in the late 1970's, it was the only movie up until then that I actually cried.

      Also,as a kid attending Methodist Church Camp on the south shore of Clear Lake in the 1950's and actually attending a concert at the Surf Ballroom with my sister, Doris, it was a very special place for me. And, it always will be. Rave On!

No comments:

Post a Comment