Sunday, June 4, 2017

SECRET SERVICE CHECKED ME OUT/COOL!


       Yesterday, 6/3/2017, I drove to Boone, Iowa, and took in Iowa's Senator Joni Ernst's Third Annual Roast and Ride held at the local Expo Grounds. It was a good experience to visit with some of the attendees while have lunch and getting to view Ernst lead in her motorcycle followed by estimates of up to another 500 bikers. 

        All the dignitaries were there including our new first time female Governor, Kim Reynolds,  Senator Chuck Grassley, and the head-liner, Vice President Mike Pence. All this was very enjoyable, but, the following was what made my day.

         I was informed when arriving in my car that there would be a "short wait" due to the Secret Service being behind schedule with the Vice President attending. That short wait turned into nearly a 2 hour slow crawl. Not good for a lot of older people and no availability  of "potties." Thank goodness I had made a pit stop at a nearby Casey's before hand. 

     When finally arriving up to where the security people where checking all vehicles, it was all business. I was informed to open my trunk, and keep all parts of my body inside the vehicle as not confuse the dog sniffing around. They also had the guy with the big mirror to view the underside of my vehicle. It was kind of cool even with the long wait. I have never had my car checked out like that even when entering Mexico or Canada.

       Another observation was the two "marksmen standing on top of the nearby "Sukup" grain bin(only in Iowa) and constantly checking out the crowd with huge binoculars. And, when Joni Ernst made her second entrance on her cycle accompanied by Vice President Pence, also on his motorcycle another site was to follow. It was the half dozen or so Secret Service detail. Just like in the movies--dressed in dark suits, white shirts, sun glasses and ear pieces. 

         Maybe it was just the "little boy" coming out, but all the security, with the Secret Security, Snipers, and cops, hoopla really made my day.  A very cool day despite the fact the temperature on the grounds easily exceeded 90 degrees!

      

No comments:

Post a Comment