Sunday, June 4, 2017

ONE OF THE" BEST BRUNCH" PLACES EVER!


     A while back there was a review in the Des Moines Register about this place in Iowa City,Pullman Bar and Grill, labeled as the best brunch restaurant in IOWA by Food Network. As stated this place has been open for over 2 1/2 years and "it's brunch lineup is knocking it out of the ballpark."

        After reading this review by a Brian Carlson, I just had to give a try as Iowa City is so close and the fact that I love breakfast and/or brunch. And, I am not a novice when it comes to breakfasts. I've had some of the best at places on Waikiki Beach, the Maine coast and one of the finest hotel restaurants at Crater Lake, Oregon, but, this place was just plain fun, cool, and with a cosmopolitan flair. 

       I was a little surprised at its setting. It is right in the heart of downtown Iowa City on Dubuque Street and in the middle of the block close to the Old Capital Building and in the heart of where it is "happening." I had always envisioned it as a self standing building like a diner or like an old fashioned "Pullman train car."  

     It does only seat 50 people or so and is narrow with an open kitchen and lots of built in stools at a marble  counter. In this narrow eatery are a row of tables in front with booths toward the back across from counter and kitchen. 

       This was my first go at a Salmon Egg Benedict and it was out of this world. I am not going in to all they have on their menu, but, if you're looking for just a plain greasy spoon then this isn't the place. If you're looking for some atmosphere with a breakfast tastefully different then this is it. 

      I will be back soon as I caught a glimpse of "French Onion Soup", my favorite, on the lunch menu. Next time I may just sit at the counter and watch the cooks make it all fresh as they advertise. It will be like sitting at the lunch counter at Kresge's in Marshalltown, Iowa back in the olden times!~

No comments:

Post a Comment