Sunday, June 18, 2017

EATERY SURPRISE OF A LIFETIME- part 2


        On the list from the Des Moines Register and a place that sounded intriguing was the Bluff Lake Catfish Farm in Maquoketa, Iowa in scenic northeast Iowa.  First, it is not that far away from where I live in Williamsburg. Just under a two hour drive and most of it very scenic.

         The restaurant lies just a few minutes northeast of Maquoketa. You actually drive through  the Maquoketa Cave State Park which in itself is worth the drive. When you drive through the park and think you need to turn around, you keep going and on gravel road. 

           Then all of a sudden appears a "big" home or two and then you spot the restaurant. Keep in mind I arrived at just a little after 4 PM when they open thinking I could get in early and be on my back home at an early hour. The parking lot was full and on a deck outside the eatery was also packed with people I assumed where waiting to get in. Had I just slipped through the twi-light zone. 

          I went on in with my mouth hanging open I'm sure. It was only 4 o'clock I kept saying to myself. And, all these people. I put my name on the list and was told it would only be a half hour.  Fifty minutes later I was served and sat by "the window" with a view of a lagoon and a scenic 50 ft' water fall. Wow!

         The special for this Saturday was Haddock and all you could eat. I would have to try the Catfish another time. PS. Can you believe I'm 73 years old and never have tried Catfish! Even the side of onion rings( which I always try in a new eatery) along with the main entree were worth the wait and drive. 

        I have been surprised for different reasons when experiencing dining spots and Iowa, the USA, and elsewhere, but, this one has to be right at the top as to where it is located with beautiful scenery, how you actually get there, and how busy it was that early on opening. All that and the fact that it was just great food and service. Loved it! 
  

No comments:

Post a Comment