Tuesday, March 3, 2015

THE SALAD-from MAY LAVERTY KORTE

      This past week I made a jello  salad that my mother prepared on several occasions. It was one of my favorites and learned to make it several years ago after her passing so I could continue to enjoy it for many years to come.  I found it originally in an old Laurel cookbook that she simply named THE SALAD.

     I mentioned this to a dear classmate of mine, Donna Ingraham on a recent telephone visit. She indicated that some food items that were prepared by our mothers were referred to as funeral items. I had not heard of that description, but, as a guy probably wouldn't have or if so didn't pay attention. Checking with my sister, she thought it more as a Christmas Salad.

      No matter, it is a good jello salad and I'm glad I know how to make and enjoy it from time to time. 

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

                           THE CHRISTMAS SALAD
      
       1 pkg lime jello
        1 pkg cherry jello
        1 envelope Dream Whip
         1 large pkg cream cheese
         1 large can crushed pineapple
         2 Tbl. Miracle Whip
          2 cups tiny marshmallows

       Prepare lime jello as to package directions and refrigerate to partially set. Drain pineapple and melt marshmallows in juice of same on low heat. Let cool and then mix in large bowl the lime jello, Miracle Whip. Dream Whip, softened cream cheese, pineapple, and marshmallow mixture.  Pour all into 13 x 9 baking dish and let set in refrigerator for about 2 hours. Then add cooled prepared cherry jello over cooled mixture. 
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

      I hope you enjoy the salad as it has a very fresh taste on "any" occasion or Holiday with the combination of the lime and pineapple flavor.

       

No comments:

Post a Comment